The Church of Our Lady of Mercy and St. Godric is our Grade II listed church, conveniently located in Durham City Centre, the Church was built in 1864, in 1909 it was extended and a tower was added. In 1985 it was badly damaged by fire, but after extensive restoration it was reopened in 1987. In 2014, the parish celebrated the 150th anniversary of the construction of the church, the founding Church of our parish community.
St. Godric of Finchale was born in Norfolk c.1065, following a life as a trader and seafarer, going as far as Rome and Jerusalem, he became a hermit at Finchale in the Parish. In 2015 our community joined with ecumenical efforts across the city to celebrate 900 years since St. Godric arrived in Durham. He died in the year 1170.
Sunday Mass is celebrated at 9:00am on Sundays, usually accompanied by the Church choir, and weekday services (Word and Communion or Holy Mass celebrated by the Mill Hill Missionaries) usually take place at 10:00am, please check the bulletin for this week’s weekday service times.
Our church is also open daily for Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament from 2:00pm – 3:00pm (3:00pm – 4:00pm on Sundays). You are warmly invited to join us, whether to pray or simply to spend some time in silence away from the busy city centre. However we politely ask all visitors to respect the peaceful and reverent atmosphere during this time.
The Church has level access from the adjoining Castle Chare, and accessible toilet facilities, guide dogs are welcome and a hearing aid loop system is installed. A designated space for a wheelchair and their career is available at the front of the Nave to help enable reception of the Blessed Sacrament at weekend Masses.