The current St. Joseph’s Church in Gilesgate was built in 1966 to cater for the growing population in the Gilesgate area of the city. The original Church was built on the current Mill Lane site in 1937. The church site also incorporates the Parish Presbytery and offices and two group meeting rooms with catering facilities.
St. Joseph is the spouse of the Blessed Virgin Mary and is venerated througout the Catholic Church he is venerated both as husband of Mary and as St. Joseph the Worker, in 1870 Pope Pius IX proclaimed St. Joseph Patron of the Universal Church.
On Saturday Evenings a Sunday Vigil Mass is celebrated at 5:30pm, usually accompanied by an organist, and a Morning Mass is celebrated at 11:00am on Sundays, usually accompanied by the either an organist or the Church music group, and weekday services (Word and Communion or Holy Mass) take place throughout the week, please check the bulletin for this week’s service times.
The car park has designated disabled spaces with ramp access to the church, accessible toilets and hearing aid facilities are provided and guide dogs are welcome to all services, carpet colour differentiation is also used throughout the Church.